Sunday, May 9, 2010

My friend Tiger

Tiger is an orange Maine Coon that likes to eat mangoes. He is 7 1/2 months old. My friend rescued him from the Baldwin Park Animal Shelter back in December. Tiger went from being homeless and caged in a shelter to having an owner who takes very good care of him. Tiger is actually now a little spoiled. He has many toys, gets groomed, and has plenty of "Tiger time" every day. Nevertheless, Tiger is a very sweet and loving cat. He'll give you cat kisses!!!



This is a picture of Tiger. Yes, he is sticking out his tongue. This act is what inspired this particular blog. When I saw him sticking out his tongue I couldn't help but laugh. I asked my friend if there was something wrong with him. I guess that got him thinking and he looked it up. Turns out that it's normal. Cats groom themselves with their tongue. It turns out, that they just forget that their tongue is sticking out. It usually only happens when their kittens,so if you ever see your cat with his or her tongue out it's a perfect opportunity to snap a picture. They look so silly.
Here's a link to some more information. Why does my cat stick his tongue out?

After looking up why they stick their tongue out, it got me thinking about their actual tongue. For those of you who have never been licked by a cat, it's different. I remember being at a friends house many years ago and his cat Baby came next to me and started licking my hand. I was taken by surprise and looked at my friend kinda freaked out. I was like..."Is your cat biting me?" He started laughing. He explained that that's how their tongues are. They are rough like sandpaper. So if you've never been licked by a cat, I just gave you a heads up. I found these links just in case you want to find out some more about cats and why their tongues are rough. Why does my cat's tongue feel like sandpaper? and Pawprints and Purr Inc.

1 comment: